Tuesday, December 21, 2010

'57 Chevrolet Nomad Gasser

 I finished this one about two months ago... This project started in November 2008. It was quite long project, bought from Sweden... I started building from interior. Because idea was to turn this into Gasser, I removed the backseat from it. I saw it first away and then using some unknown plastic, I filled the hole. Then some putty on it and lots of sanding... I get some fabric and I made a carpet from it. Of course it's black. Kit has quite bad door panels, so I saded them smooth and lots of putty to them too, and sanding... Then I painted it with silver and now they look like made from aluminium. I made new door hinghes from piece of rivet... Front seat is from kit, I had to put some putty to it. Floor shifter wasn't in the kit.

Engine is SBC 283''. That's quite ok from the kit. There is manifold options for Tunnel Ram or Cross Ram or original Fuel injection... But they all were anything but good for Gasser, so I used Hillborn Fuel Injection for it. Engine is painted by red and there are lots of different colours. Manifolds are from unknown model kit, but they are painted by silver and then a bit of blue to them. Plug wires are Detail Master's stuff. That engine looks pretty good on the car, valve covers are chromed original "Chevrolet" covers...

Chassis got some modifications too... Original gas tank was not good for Gasser, so I took dremel and it was bye bye for original gas tank. It was sure, that I will be using Mooneyes tank on it... Exhaust pipes are molded to chassis and I removed them. Mufflers I removed with dremel and I sanded all of the original pipes away from the chassis. Rear axle with leaf springs is from the kit and front axle is from '55 Chevy BadMan Gasser. I painted it with gold and springs are chromed. I removed original front axle mounts from springs... Tie rod is made from MIG wire.

Body is painted with a spray gun, Badger 250 and paint is Revell Enamel blue... It's quite good (and smooth), I had a bit problems with it but finished paintjob looks pretty good. Decals are from some old model kit, they were in quite bad shape. I put one of those textes together from five pieces! Clear is Revell's Enamel clear. It was very tricky to clear it up, but it's looking quite ok. Foiling went wrong. Small pieces of Clear left off from the body and that means that it's not looking so good right now...

Final assembly was not so difficult, gas tank is from Mooneyes and I made mounts to it from MIG-wire. Then I made a hole to it for fuel line. It's Pro Tech's "Braided Line" and it goes to fuel filter... From there lieves one hose to that part, where goes one fuel line for every fuel injection tube... Just a little details to engine. Original grille and front bumber system was not good, so I saw just upper flange (?) away from it and installed it to body. No problems with final assembly, I think, model looks pretty nice right now, there are lots of mistakes (yes, I know) but the style is great.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 
And all WIP pictures are here: '57 Nomad Gasser
All comments, suggestions, critic and questions are very very very welcome!!!

Source: http://cs.scaleautomag.com/scacs/forums/thread/926064.aspx

Gerry Ashmore Bill Aston Richard Attwood Manny Ayulo Luca Badoer

No comments:

Post a Comment