Thursday, March 29, 2012

Source Photo Tip and Screenshot Tutorial

I'm sure someone else has discovered this, but I've never seen it mentioned. I only thought of it the other day when I was looking for source photos for my 1981 Camaro Z28 I'm making for my father in law. If you search youtube for the exact make, model, and year you're looking for some great results can be had.

The best videos to look for are the ones people put up to sell their cars. They usually do a full walk around of the exterior and then some video of the interior. Some also show good shots of the engine bay. The plus side with a video is you can wait for them to get the angle you want (or as close as possible) and then pause it.

If you're searching for a popular subject (i.e. a '55 Chevy) then you can narrow the search with words like 'stock', 'hot rod', 'engine bay', and I usually throw in 'for sale' to try and get the walk around videos. Words like 'mint' and 'stock' also help.

If you're looking to save the image to your computer the best way (for me at least) is to take a screen shot of the entire screen. This basically means you take a photo of everything you see on the screen including your task bar and browser window. One of the benefits of this is that you have a photo of the url for the video as well as what point in the video your screenshot is from. Here's an example of one I'm using to change the hood from the '79 to '81 Camaro.

 

There are two simple ways to take a screenshot. The first is by pressing the 'Prt Sc' button at the top of your keyboard. This will take a screenshot and post it to your clipboard. This is just like using the 'copy' function. This image won't be saved to your computer. In order for that to happen you will need to 'paste' the screenshot somewhere. You could paste is in Paint, Word, or any imaging program like Photoshop or Paint.NET (which is free by the way). Then you can save the file that you pasted the screenshot into in your folder for your project photos.

Unfortunately this can be quite a tedious process, especially if you want a lot of source photos. My preferred method is a program called ScreenHunter Free. This is the free version of a great screen capture program. With this you can assign a key combination to take the screenshot. For instance mine is Ctrl+Shift+J since that combo is not assigned to anything in windows, and my name starts with J Big Smile You can also specify a destination folder for your images to be saved in. This means for each screenshot you don't have to paste it into a program and save it. When you're done taking screenshots you can go to the destination folder and they will be waiting there for you!

Here's the link for ScreenHunter Free 6.0:

http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

I'm sure for some of you this is all old hat, but I thought those who are not as computer literate could benefit from the tip. It also took me a few years to think of youtube as a great place for source photos, so someone else must be in the dark as well!

If anyone has any questions about any of this just let me know and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Jeremy

Source: http://cs.scaleautomag.com/SCACS/forums/thread/1009184.aspx

Bentley Supersports Michele Alboreto Jean Alesi Jaime Alguersuari Philippe Alliot

No comments:

Post a Comment